Promoting historic links between Oxford Brookes University and the Methodist Church through archives, artworks, publications and research.
James Smetham (1821-1889)
Artist, Poet, Teacher
2021 marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of James Smetham. To commemorate this the OCMCH will launch a 3-5 year programme will centre on three themes which were critical to Smetham’s life; art, religion, and mental well-being.
The programme aims to include
– A survey of Smetham’s known surviving work
– A travelling exhibition of his paintings, etchings and ‘squarings’, aimed particularly at churches and schools
– Accompanying educational programme linking the three core themes
– Therapeutic workshop use or displays for the promotion of mental well-being
– Online resources including a catalogue and study programme
More introductory information is available here